Wednesday, April 29, 2015

old lady across the room

there was a table of older ladies who used to go to the same clubs where I went when I was a college student. There was a common theme at the clubs - there was always live music, reggae, or African, and dancing.

They probably weren't that old at the time, just older than me.  Perhaps they were in their mid to late 30s, maybe even as old as in their 40's, but they seemed like they must have been 60, from my vantage point.

Compared to the rest of us they were sedate, usually sitting at their own table, perhaps 3 or 4 to a group.  There was a particular blonde, and a particular brunette I remember the most.  I thought they had a link to older men in some band, but I never knew this to actually be true.  Yet they were connected to the whole scene, parts of the puzzle, just as I was a part of the puzzle.

I didn't like them.

And I had no good reason to not like them

******************************************************

I feel like we met again 20 years later, when I was definitely middle aged, and they were now finally about the age I thought they were in the past.

But I never told either one that I felt like I knew them from the past.

Maybe I did  and maybe I didn't, it was all imagined, a similarity to someone else.

**********************************************

The blonde was actually the wife of a patient, an older African man.  I think she was a retired nurse.

****************************************

The brunette was also a nurse (were these 2 women the same 2 women, and were they friends 25 years ago or possibly even still today?).  She always wore silver bangles. and usually bright green smocks with matching pants - Indian style.  She had green eyes and the green  clothes with the green eyes and silver bangles created a striking contrast.  She used to do African dance for exercise.
Little did I know after 14 years I would weep, for the loss of a profound soul, the day I learned she had decided to stop fighting for this life; and that she had passed away on the Anniversary of my mother's funeral.

No comments:

Post a Comment